17.1.08

Una torta...o un tortel..que es la diferencia?

...was my short lesson in Spanish in the kitchen just now, as my host "mother" was preparing dinner. Un tortel is a traditional cake/torte which the Catalonians eat during holy days (similar to the three kings cake they have during Carnaval). However, una torta is the word for a slap on the face. Definitely a good thing to keep in mind when talking about tortels, or tortas for that matter.

Anywho, I just got home from a day on campus and a tour through Museu Picasso and Barri Born. It was a very interesting tour all in Castellano, which discussed Picasso's career from his early childhood through his beginning life in Paris.
There were many paintings from when little Pablito began painting when he was only 8, 10 years old that are just inspiring and incredible. How can such a young child have had such a lucid vision and impeccable skills?? As we moved through the museum, I saw the evolution of Picasso's style and his lifestyle through his paintings. He only began to paint in a cubist style after one of his good friends committed suicide and his painting took a turn to a different, more depressed era: the blue period, where he basically painted in blue tones for 4 years, transitioning into a more cubist type perspective.
The Borne neighborhood, although quite touristy, full of expensive tapas bars and restaurants, clothing stores, and jewelry shops, is very cute and is a place to go get a nice cocktail. I don't think I'll be there too much as I need to save money for travel and going to concerts!!
Well now I believe the tortel will be served *I hope!* and since I'm really hungry (still haven't gotten accustomed to the late dinner every night) I will go help with that!


Hasta luego...

No comments: