14.1.08

Vale....

...is the word of the Spaniards. It means "ok" or "right," and people use it every other word practically (more or less...) I've gotten accustomed to it, it's been quite amusing though.
I'm also getting used to the amazing food, cafe con leche, bocatas, or sandwiches, usually with an abundant amount of jamon y tomate.
Also, it's amazing just to be walking around, wandering the streets, and seeing gorgeous architecture and sites, like the arc de triomf, parc de la cuitadella, casa batllo, plaza de espanya, the beach with gorgeous statues, parks at every turn, plaza catalunya.....the list goes on. I'm amazed by the amount of varieties of public transportation available at your disposal, including bike rentals where you pay an annual fee and can use a bike and drop it off at any location (VERY cool) (www.bicing.com), the metro, cable car (like muni), buses, trains, and of course, what I do most, walk. It's a great walking city, and I'm thankful for my comfortable shoes and warm coat.
I just had my first clase de idioma, class in Spanish, which definitely will help me freshen my Spanish a bit now that I've been speaking it constantly every day. I even found myself having trouble remembering certain words in English and thinking in Spanish. It's incredible, being here a mere 10 days or so has catapulted me into the culture, language, mentality, fashion, food, everything. I've even picked up a Catalunya accent and use some local idioms when I speak in Spanish (grathias, que tal?, coge el telefono )
s
well it's almost dinnertime here so i'm about to go and then explore the city on a Monday night..will talk about that later
hasta luego!

No comments: